Carer certificate

If you need assistance or someone to accompany you in order to attend cultural or recreational events, you can apply for one from your municipality. It is up to each municipality to decide whether or not it wishes to offer carer certificates.

Who can get a carer certificate?

​Carer certificates are intended for people with an illness or disability who need assistance or a carer with them in order to attend events.

A carer certificate may for example be appropriate for people with the following:

  • Physical impairment
  • Hearing impairment
  • Visual impairment
  • Dementia
  • Developmental disability
  • Allergy
  • Disability as a result of illness, such as mental disorder, heart disease, lung disease, and more

Where can I use a carer certificate?

​The individual organiser or provider decides whether they accept carer certificates and if so, what discount the carer certificate provides.

If your municipality offers carer certificates, there should be information on the municipality's website about which places accept carer certificates. You can also contact the organiser or provider directly and ask if they accept carer certificates.

How to apply for a carer certificate

​If you need a carer certificate, you should check whether your municipality offers such certificates. You can find out more about how to apply on the municipality's website or by contacting the municipality.

Once you have applied, the municipality will be obliged to notify you in writing of their decision, whether or not your application is approved. The notification must state whether or not your carer certificate has been approved.

If your application is rejected, the notification must state the reason for the rejection.

Appeals in the event of rejection

​If your application for a carer certificate is rejected, you can appeal against the decision. The municipality will provide guidance on how to appeal.

Your appeal must be sent to the municipality, which will then review your application.

The patient and user ombudsman

There is a patient and user ombudsman in all counties. They can help you with questions about health services or provide advice, guidance and information about the rights of a patient, user or next of kin.

Content provided by The Norwegian Directorate of Health

The Norwegian Directorate of Health. Carer certificate. [Internet]. Oslo: The Norwegian Directorate of Health; updated Friday, April 14, 2023 [retrieved Monday, May 20, 2024]. Available from:

Last updated Friday, April 14, 2023