Care homes, nursing homes, children's homes and other housing services

Municipalities have various forms of accommodation that are specially designed for people with a particularly great need for health and care services.

Municipal housing provides the opportunity for more people to be able to manage themselves.

These types of accommodation include:

  • Care homes, specifically adapted for the provision of 24-hour services
  • Nursing homes
  • Children's homes
  • Respite homes
  • Housing services for addicts

Care homes

​Care homes include various types of accommodation adapted for people with special needs in terms of support and/or services. Care homes can be owned by the municipality themselves, organised as a housing association or co-ownership with the users themselves as owners, or in other ways.

For example, the housing might be linked to communal areas and/or adapted for 24-hour health and care services.

If rent is payable, it will be possible to apply for housing allowance from the Norwegian State Housing Bank. The municipality can help you apply for housing allowance. A separate application must be submitted if other services are needed in the home.

Nursing homes

The elderly and other individuals in need of 24-hour health and care services may be entitled to a place at a nursing home. The stay may be of longer or shorter duration. This is determined on the basis of the individual's needs. Long-term stays in nursing homes are primarily meant for the elderly.

Children's homes and respite homes

Children's homes and respite homes are a service provided to children and young people under 18 years of age with a particularly great need for health and care services. Examples are children with disabilities and/or illnesses which require additional care and support.

It is common to distinguish between children's homes and respite homes in the following way:

  • The accommodation is referred to as a ‘children’s home’ when the child lives there permanently and the home provides daily care on behalf of the parents on a permanent basis.
  • The accommodation is referred to as a ‘respite home’ if the child lives with its parents permanently, but moves into the accommodation when the parents are in need of respite.

How to apply for a place in a nursing home or other adapted form of housing

The municipality will be able to help you if you have any questions about the application process. You will find contact details and an application form on the municipality's website.

If you need further assistance, you can contact the patient and user ombudsman in your county for advice and guidance on your rights as a patient or user, along with information on application and appeal procedures.

How to appeal to the municipality

You can appeal if you disagree with the municipality's decision. This applies both if you disagree with the scope of the services you are offered, the way they are offered, and if your application is rejected. The municipality will then provide guidance on how to appeal. Your appeal must be sent to the municipality.

There is a patient and user ombudsman in every county. Amongst other things, the patient and user ombudsman can assist you with:

  • Information on application and appeal procedures.
  • How you can meet health professionals and case officers in order to get answers to any questions you may have concerning your case.
  • Writing an appeal if you need to.

Content provided by The Norwegian Directorate of Health

Last updated Monday, November 28, 2022