You can apply for an S1 certificate using a digital form in Altinn. To log in to Altinn you need electronic ID. Click here for information about how to get an electronic ID.
You can also consider giving power of attorney to someone who has electronic ID – for example your employer. A person with power of attorney and electronic ID can log in and submit applications on your behalf.
Altinn displays in Norwegian by default. Here is a guide on how to change the page to English.
If you are working, you must ensure that you enclose the following:
- a copy of your employment contract
- if the employment contract is more than one year old, confirmation from your employer that you are still employed
Please note the following:
- If you are self-employed, you must attach confirmation that you have paid all outstanding advance tax or confirmation from your accountant that your enterprise is a going concern.
- If you receive any benefits from NAV, you must attach a copy of the letter of approval for the benefit from NAV.
- If you receive unemployment benefit, you must also attach form U2 from NAV. If you do not have a form U2, only any dependent family members you have will be entitled to receive this form.
You will find useful information about submitting the digital form here (in Norwegian).
Certificate S1 is valid for the duration of the employment contract with your Norwegian employer. If the employment contract does not stipulate the duration of the employment, the document will be valid for two years. If the employment lasts more than two years, you will have to apply for a new S1.
If you are unable to use our digital form, you can fill in and submit the following form instead:
Send your application to: Helfo, P.O. Box 2415, 3104 Tønsberg.
Piotr applies digitally to Helfo for certificate S1 because his old one has expired. He attaches a copy of his employment contract and a confirmation from his employer that he is still employed by the joinery company.