4 weeks checkup
When your child is 4 weeks old, you will be offered a group consultation at the health centre. This consultation will consist of a discussion with other parents with babies of the same age, a public health nurse and possibly a physiotherapist. You will be asked whether there are any topics you wish to discuss.
If you do not wish to participate in group consultations, you can request an individual consultation instead.
Who you will meet
- public health nurse
The public health nurse will discuss topics such as:
- interaction between parents and children
- breastfeeding (in Norwegian) and/or breast milk substitutes (in Norwegian)
- vitamin D supplements
- colic (in Norwegian)
- violence, abuse and neglect (shaking or shaken baby syndrome)
- the child’s movement development
- the parents' use of mobile phones and screens, including the use of social media
- the child’s environment and safety (in Norwegian)
- the child immunisation programme
- your child's sleep and sleeping positions (in Norwegian)
- infectious diseases
- smoking, alcohol and other drug use
- information on check-ups for the mother after childbirth
The child's weight and head circumference will be measured when necessary.
The Norwegian Directorate of Health. National guideline for health promotion and preventive work in the child and youth health centres and school health service, 0 – 20 years. [Internet]. Oslo: The Norwegian Directorate of Health; 2019 [accessed 2021-02-23].
Last updated Friday, January 10, 2020