User-controlled personal assistance

The aim of user-controlled personal assistance is to give people with substantial needs for assistance more freedom to manage their services and everyday lives themselves.

Brukerstyrt personlig assistanse

​User-controlled personal assistance (BPA, "brukerstyrt personlig assistanse" in Norwegian) is a way of organising practical assistance and training for people with substantial long-term needs for personal assistance. More information can be found in Section 2-1(d) of the Patient and User Rights Act.

Who is entitled to user-controlled personal assistance?

In order to be entitled to assistance in the form of user-controlled personal assistance, you must be under 67 years of age and need assistance for more than 32 hours per week over a period of more than two years. If you need between 25 and 32 hours of assistance per week, you will be entitled to user-controlled personal assistance if the municipality is unable to document that providing such assistance would be significantly more expensive for the municipality, compared with the resources that the municipality would otherwise have to spend in order to provide you with services.

The municipality will review the patient’s needs regarding assistance and will consider whether services should be offered in the form of user-controlled personal assistance in collaboration with the individual patient or user.

When practical assistance and training is organised in the form of user-controlled personal assistance, it is the user themselves, if necessary with assistance, who must organise and lead the work of the assistants. It is a requirement that the role of supervisor is handled appropriately.

How to apply for user-controlled personal assistance?

Information on the application process can be found on your municipality's website or by contacting the municipality. If you need more information or guidance, contact your municipality.

Once you have applied, the municipality will be obliged to send you a written decision (individual decision), regardless of whether or not you are granted user-controlled personal assistance. The notification must justify the decision and provide information on the appeal procedure and deadline for receipt of appeals.

You can appeal against the decision

​If you are not satisfied with the decision you have received, you can appeal.

Your appeal must be sent to your municipality, which will then review the case. If the municipality does not uphold your appeal, it will be referred to the county governor for a final decision.

There are patient and user ombudsmen in all counties. You can contact them if you need advice, guidance or information regarding your rights as a user or relative.