Childbirth outside the EU/EEA

If you are a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme and travel to a country outside the EU/EEA to give birth, you may be entitled to get your expenses covered. You will only be covered for the costs of the actual childbirth itself.

Mother holding baby

​Expenses for antenatal check-ups; vaccinations and newborn check-ups are not covered.

Neither you nor your baby are entitled to reimbursement of healthcare expenses during a temporary stay abroad outside of the EU/EEA.

You should take out travel insurance that covers healthcare costs for both of you.

You need to pay childbirth expenses out of pocket and apply to Helfo for reimbursement when you return home.

Submit your application digitally

You can apply to Helfo for a refund by using our digital form. You need the following documentation: 

  • original specified receipts or original specified invoice with documentation that you have paid for all expenses you have had in connection with the birth
  • copy of health card for pregnant women or other documentation from Norwegian health personnel on pregnancy
  • copy of birth certificate

Send the form and documentation to Helfo – not later than 6 months after giving birth.


Paper form

If you are unable to use our digital form, you can complete the following form instead (only available in Norwegian):

The application must be sent to: Helfo; Postboks 2415; 3104 Tønsberg.

Power of attorney in connection with enquiries to Helfo

​If you contact Helfo on behalf of anyone else, you must have power of attorney for them.

Parents/guardians must also have power of attorney from any children aged 18 or over. In the case of health information, you must have power of attorney from any children aged 16 or over. This is because the age of majority under health law is 16.

Health information is sensitive information and should not be sent by e-mail. You should therefore send the power of attorney to Helfo as an attachment to a digital form, or by letter post to Helfo, Postboks 2415, 3104 Tønsberg. Remember to enclose a copy of valid identification.  

Content provided by Helfo

Last updated Thursday, January 23, 2020